Fine George II Chinese Chippendale mahogany silver table
With overall pierced fretwork, the rectangular galleried top over a deep frieze, the square legs united by a x-form stretcher.
H: 30 1/2, W: 34, D: 20 in.
Purchased 1960, Frank Partridge, Inc.Property of a Private Naples Collection
- overall good restored condition
- all joins tight, possibly re-glued sometime mid 20th century
- signs of repair to fretwork throughout with some minor areas of loss and crackinging, most notably to some of the end points and edges of the fretwork.
- there is a partial 7 in. section of the frieze at one end that has been replaced and is slightly separated from the whole.
- table surface with a later thin varnish which has cracked and flaked in spots, probably part of a mid twentieth century restoration.
- several blocks missing on the underside, most notable on the section of replaced fretwork mentioned earlier.
- some very minor splits and age cracks to frame
- recessed castors all appear to be original
- black crayon mark '4575' on underside, and orange enamel inventory no. 10537
- underside with x-form scribed marks correlating to the shape of the stretchers
Descriptions provided in both printed and on-line catalogue formats do not include condition reports. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Interested bidders are strongly encouraged to request a condition report on any lots upon which they intend to bid, prior to placing a bid. All transactions are governed by Freeman's Conditions of Sale.
Sold for $46,000 (buyer's premium included)