Chippendale carved mahogany looking glass with phoenix cartouche
Philadelphia, PA, carving attributed to John Pollard (1740-1787) and
Richard Butts (active 1768-1778), circa 1770.
L: 68 1/2 in.
By descent in the Detwiler Family of Lancaster, Pennsylvania to the late Richard R. and Emily M. Detwiler Uhl
Furniture scholar and conservator, Alan Miller has attributed the carving of the cartouche and side garlands to the workshop of John Pollard and Richard Butts. The craftsmen advertised their partnership in Philadelphia at the Sign of the Chinese Shield on Chestnut Street in 1773. Micro-analysis has determined the secondary woods of the glass to be white pine and Atlantic cedar.
A similar cartouche was sold in these galleries, April 20, 2010, The Stevenson Easby Collection, Lot 134.
Sold for $298,000 (buyer's premium included)