A Russian Imperial Porcelain dinner plate from the 'Alexandrinskii' or 'Turquoise' Service
Imperial Porcelain Factory, St. Petersburg, 1899
The shaped circular plate with gold rim and a bleu céleste-ground border with cartouches decorated with miniature ornithological paintings separated with garlands of oak leaves and acorns; marked to the underside with the green underglaze mark of Nicholas II and dated 1899.
Dia: 9 3/4 in.
In 1899, Empress Alexandra Feodorovna commissioned this service for use in the Winter Palace, based on an original service by Sèvres already in the Imperial Collection. The service, which came to be called 'Alexandrinskii' in honor of the Empress, comprised 1,300 pieces.
See N.B. von Wolf (ed. T.N. Nosovich), Imperatorskii farforovyi zavod, 1744-1904 (St. Petersburg, 2003), pp. 314-316, regarding this service as well as and Anne Odom, Russian Porcelain at Hillwood (Washington, DC, 1999), pp. 98-101. For the original service made at Sèvres between 1783 and 1784, please see Tamara Kudriavtseva, Russian Imperial Porcelain (St. Petersburg, 2003), p. 208.