A Russian porcelain soup plate from the 'Tsarskoselskii' or 'Purple' Service
Imperial Porcelain Factory, St. Petersburg, 1905
The shaped circular soup decorated to the border with puce landscapes within gilt reserves ornamented with ciselé foliate cartouches, marked to underside with the green underglaze mark of Nicholas II and dated 1905.
Dia: 10 in.
The 'Purple,' or Tsarskoe Selo, Service was the last major service commissioned from the Imperial Porcelain Manufactory, and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna personally approved the design that was finally selected. Ordered in 1903, the service was intended for use in the palaces at Tsarskoe Selo, and the commission stated that the design should be both simple and sumptuous while harmonizing with the palaces' Baroque and Rococo splendor. See T. Kudriavtseva, Russian Imperial Porcelain (St. Petersburg, 2003), p. 211.
Sold for $1,875 (buyer's premium included)